Marriage License Questions? Click Here To Speak To Rev. Louis Right Now at 1-888-886-6075

Alaska Marriage License Requirements

Below is the information on what you need to bring with you, and what you need to know about the marriage laws before filling out the marriage license forms.

In order to get married, you need to apply and receive a marriage license. This is the document that allows you to officially be married under the law. Always check with your city's marriage bureau at your clerk of court's office to find out what your local rules are.

Licenses are usually not valid for more than 30 days so you'll typically need to apply for your marriage license within one month of your wedding ceremony. You need to submit your birth certificates, tax information, and other official documents.

When you apply for your license, you'll not only need a proof of identification and age, will need to provide any information about previous marriages, and will need to pay a nominal fee. You will also need to have a witness when you sign the application, so plan on bringing your maid of honor or best man with you. The bride will need to know what her married name will be before she signs the marriage certificate. You'll have to write that name on the application.

IMPORTANT: You are not officially married when you receive a marriage license. You need to have a justice of the peace or a religious clergyman sign the document. On your wedding day, you'll give your officiant your marriage license, then after the ceremony, he'll sign it and send it to the proper government agency for validation.

ID Requirement: Picture ID such as a driver's license. If application is mailed or faxed in, it must be witnessed by a Notary Public.

Residency Requirement: Do not have to be a resident of Alaska.

Waiting Period: 3 days.

If Divorced: If divorced within the last 60 days, a certified copy of the divorce decree is needed.

Fees: Cash Only! $25

Other Tests: No tests

Under 18: Need certified copy of birth certificate, both parents must be present with identification, or if you have a legal guardian they must be present with a court order and identification.

Officiants: The minister, priest or rabbi of any church or congregation in the state may perform marriages. Ministers must provide marriage certificates to the couple married and report the marriage to the Marriage Commissioner.

Valid: License is valid for 90 days anywhere in Alaska.
The license can only be used within the State of Alaska.


IMPORTANT: State and county marriage license requirements can change so make sure you check with your local town clerk. This information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice. It is important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office or county clerk before making any plans.

Anchorage District Recorder
Anchorage, AK
907. 269. 0990

Fairbanks District Court
Fairbanks, AK
907. 452. 9210

Bethel District Recorder
Bethel, AK
907. 543. 3391

Cape Nome Recorder
Nome, AK
907. 443. 5178

Homer District Recorder
Homer, AK
907. 235. 8136

Juneau District Recorder
Juneau, AK
907. 465. 3392

Kenai County Clerk
Kenai, AK
907. 283. 3118

Ketchikan Recorder
Ketchikan, AK
907. 225. 3142

Kodiak Recorder
Kodiak, AK
907. 486. 9432

Palmer District Recorder
Palmer, AK
907. 746. 8102

Sitka Recorder
Sitka, AK
907. 747. 3275